Venture Capital Senior Associate/Vice President
New York City, NY | San Francisco, CA
Title: Venture Capital Senior Associate/Vice President
Reports to: OrbiMed Private Investments Partners
Location: New York City or San Francisco
The Venture Capital Senior Associate/Vice President will support senior members of the private investments team at OrbiMed Advisors, LLC a leading investment firm dedicated exclusively to the healthcare sector, with $17 billion in assets under management. OrbiMed invests globally across the spectrum of healthcare companies, from venture capital start-ups to large multinational companies. OrbiMed's team of more than 100 employees manages a series of venture capital funds, public equity funds, royalty/debt funds and other investment vehicles. OrbiMed maintains its headquarters in New York City, with additional offices in San Francisco, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Mumbai Herzliya, and London. The Venture Capital Senior Associate/Vice President will play an integral role in the generation of new investment ideas, in conducting due diligence for new investments, and in the management of current portfolio positions, primarily within the biopharma sector. The successful candidate will have exceptionally strong scientific and/or clinical background and be able to understand, interpret, and integrate information across diverse therapeutic areas and technologies in order to reach investment conclusions. It will also be critically important for a candidate to understand business principles and market dynamics for biopharma. Specific activities will include scientific and clinical due diligence, competitive landscape analysis, commercial due diligence, financial analysis, preparing presentations for internal and external audiences, working with attorneys to draft term sheets and investment documents, and providing ongoing assistance to portfolio companies. The complexity of work projects is expected to increase as the Senior Associate/Vice President develops. The position provides an exceptional opportunity for individuals interested in gaining experience in healthcare venture capital investing.
- Drive critical components of the investment process from opportunity identification through due diligence and deal closing.
- Perform detailed technical diligence on preclinical and clinical stage programs and platforms.
- Analyze the competitive landscapes for emerging technologies as well as for specific indications.
- Evaluate commercial potential for programs.
- Integrate diligence findings with financial analysis to assist with investment decision-making.
- Interface with external parties including company management teams and third-party expert consultants.
- Assist in board-level management of portfolio companies; attend board meetings as an observer in select cases, and work on projects to build portfolio company value.
Qualifications and Experience
- M.D. or Ph.D. in biological or chemical sciences from a top-tier university.
- Full-time experience at a top-tier investment firm, investment bank or consulting firm (with a healthcare focus) or a biotechnology or medical device company (preferably in areas of business development or M&A), preferred but not required.
- Motivated to learn the investing business.
- Impeccable integrity, work ethic, initiative, and commitment.
- Organized, detail-oriented personality with the ability to multi-task in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Candidates should be team players who enjoy working in a non-hierarchical, collaborative firm culture.
- Base Salary: 150k-200k