Sr. Manager, Business Development
HilleVax is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing novel vaccines. Our initial program, HIL-214, is a virus-like particle (VLP) based vaccine candidate for the prevention of moderate-to-severe acute gastroenteritis (AGE) caused by norovirus infection. It is estimated that norovirus causes nearly 700 million cases of illness and more than 200,000 deaths worldwide per year with significant additional economic and social burdens.
We are founded on the legacies of leading vaccine developers that inspire us to have a positive impact on human health and build a company that equalizes opportunity for people around the world by removing barriers of health inequity. Our aim is to have a global impact on human health; we believe the best way to achieve this impact is by developing novel vaccines for severe and life-threatening diseases.
Objectives / Overview:
The mission of this role is to help drive our business development efforts which includes seeking development and commercialization partners for our lead clinical-stage vaccine, in-licensing additional vaccine candidates to build out the pipeline and providing general business analysis support for the executive team, functional departments and product teams as needed. This is an excellent opportunity for a driven individual looking for broad-based experience in a dynamic, fast-paced company developing vaccines for major unmet needs. As Senior Manager, you will lead process related to novel partnering strategies and creative deal structures that accelerate the value of the company and have the opportunity to participate in deal negotiations and corporate decision-making.
This position reports to the Chief Business Officer and is an opportunity to contribute at the highest levels to rapidly growing company poised to engage in significant opportunities over the coming months. The role is focused on working with and collaborating with a broad cross-functional group of stakeholders (including but not limited to Clinical, Regulatory, Technical Operations, Project Management, Medical Affairs, Investor Relations, and Commercial) as well as Senior Management.
- Effectively support the transaction process (approach, opportunity assessment, due diligence, valuation, deal negotiations, deal structuring, internal governance processes, closing process and integration planning for key initiatives). Develop a solid business case for each transaction.
- Manage all aspects of due diligence processes; key contact with partners, prioritize issues and questions, assemble cross-functional teams (project management, clinical development and operations, medical affairs, regulatory, IP/legal, finance and technical operations), manage, review, and integrate into deal assessment.
- Develop robust and thorough qualitative and quantitative assessments, including physician interviews, market research, financial modeling, deal comparables and other valuation tools to create scenarios and options in support of corporate objectives and decision-making, in collaboration with colleagues and leadership.
- Seek out in-licensing opportunities for the company to grow its pipeline.
- Maintain awareness and knowledge of company strategy to assess fit of potential opportunities.
- Stay abreast of emerging competition and pharmaceutical industry trends and assess their potential impact on business strategies.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to internal and external audiences in support of business development initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience & Skills:
- Graduate degree (MBA, MD, PhD) and 3+ years of relevant experience in the biopharmaceutical industry from among business development, management consulting, investment banking, equity research, and public/private investing or an undergraduate degree with 6+ years of proven relevant experience.
- Familiarity with all aspects of deal-making required, including buying and selling, licensing individual assets and broader collaborations.
- Strong understanding of the biopharmaceutical R&D and commercialization process, as well as knowledge of the industry landscape (e.g., companies, transactions, terms) preferred.
- Knowledge of vaccines field a plus
- Strong analytical skillset; significant forecast modeling experience and critical analyses of clinical/financial datasets
- Strong communication and organizational skills as well as business and scientific acumen
- Ability to collaboratively work in a small company environment and contribute to many different functions.
- High potential, self-starter able to both work highly independently and be a consummate team player
- Highly proficient with MS Excel and PowerPoint
- Location in Boston strongly preferred.
- Willingness to travel domestically (20-30%) to business development meetings and conferences, and strategic partners, including overnight trips.
- Some international travel may be required.
HilleVax is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We welcome all to apply.