Senior Director, Business Development
Fusion Pharmaceuticals is a clinical-stage oncology company focused on developing next-generation radiopharmaceuticals as precision medicines. We have developed our Targeted Alpha Therapies, or TAT, platform together with our proprietary Fast-Clear linker technology to enable us to connect alpha particle emitting isotopes to antibodies and other targeting molecules in order to selectively deliver the alpha particle payloads to tumors. Our TAT platform is underpinned by our research and insights into the underlying biology of alpha emitting radiopharmaceuticals as well as our differentiated capabilities in target identification, candidate generation, manufacturing and supply chain and development of imaging diagnostics. We believe that our TATs have the potential to build on the successes of currently available radiopharmaceuticals and be broadly applicable across multiple targets and tumor types.
Fusion is seeking an entrepreneurial business development talent with strong scientific and transaction experience to join our corporate development team. The Director/Senior Director of Business Development will assume a highly visible role within Fusion to identify, evaluate and negotiate value-creating new business opportunities and strategic partnerships in support of Fusion's corporate vision and business imperatives. This leader will also work closely with the Senior Vice President, Business Development and cross-functional stakeholders to evolve our corporate and business development strategies and objectives and contribute to building of the growing BD & Alliance Management functions.
Given Fusion's novel platform (including radiopharmaceuticals and its proprietary linker technology), the company has enormous potential and broad applicability. The individual must be able to think and execute on a tremendous scale to maximize the value of Fusion. The Director/Sr. Director, Business Development will report to the Senior Vice President, Business Development and US Operations.
- Originate ideas, sets/executes on strategy, and works across the BD list of responsibilities (origination, DD, comps, valuation, structuring, negotiations)
- Lead search and evaluation efforts to proactively identify and solicit new strategic research partnerships, ideas, and/or in-licensing/acquisition opportunities with biotech and pharmaceutical companies, academic institutions or non-profit research organizations. This may be on a platform, asset, and/or technology level
- Lead in-house cross-functional technical evaluation and due diligence efforts through deal closure
- Stay closely abreast of research developments in the field via published literature, trade press, conferences, patent filings, and relationships across academia and industry
- Establish a highly efficient and productive sourcing and diligence process tailored to Fusion operationally and culturally
- Foster strong relationships with internal stakeholders (including R&D, finance, legal and others) to deeply understand and support their objectives and translation into business development opportunities
- Ensuring that major operational partnerships are proactively and effectively managed. responsible for optimizing relationships and resolving issues to minimize risks for both Fusion and its partnering organization(s).
- Build and present to senior management business cases, including: scientific, business, assessment of commercial plan, market opportunity and appropriate transaction financial structure
- Serve as an ambassador of Fusion's BD function which requires maintaining thorough knowledge of Fusion corporate messaging, platform, R&D programs, targets, therapeutic approach and vision
Qualifications and Capabilities
- 10+ years of relevant experience in pharmaceutical/biotech business development
- Advanced scientific degree (PhD, PharmD, or MD) is strongly preferred
- Proven ability to lead multiple BD projects and diligence teams efficiently and independently
- A track record of success in sourcing/driving significant business development opportunities to completion
- Strong understanding of drug discovery, development and commercialization process and essential activities across all key functional areas
- Broad business development network and a progressive knowledge of innovative alliance structures, industry trends and emerging innovations
- Must have great enthusiasm for collaborating closely with R&D members in a high-science environment and contribute to seamless integration of BD, R&D and all key functions at Fusion
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills excellent attention to detail and proficiency in MS Suite of software
- Must be able to earn the trust and respect of executives, scientists, clinicians, administrators, investors, and collaborators while driving the initiatives
- Creative, highly motivated and results-driven team player with a "nothing is impossible" attitude
- Demonstrated strong self-starter and sense of autonomy, efficient, independent, proactive, and self-motivated
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.