Senior Associate, Novo Growth
Novo Holdings Principal Investments (US), Inc.
San Francisco, CA
Novo Growth is seeking a Senior Associate who can contribute to the value creation of our investments. Our purpose is to make sizeable investments in highly innovative, scalable life science companies that have recently reached, or are close to, the commercial stage, with strong long-term potential. The combination of our long-term capital and sector expertise position us as an investor of choice for growth companies in the life science sector.
You will contribute to building and developing the Growth Equity team’s portfolio.
- As an active member of the Novo Growth team, take part in the identification, origination, evaluation, diligence and negotiation of new investment opportunities in North America and Europe
- Participate in asset management activities as well as continuous exit re-evaluation and execution, as necessary
- Take part in the continued development and update of Novo Growth-specific operating procedures for investment and asset management processes, as required
- Manage and develop cross-departmental relationship within the broader Novo Holdings group, notably to ensure knowledge sharing capabilities and cooperation on investment projects across departments and locations
Main tasks in daily business:
- Evaluate new investment opportunities and synthesize findings in form of PowerPoint Presentations, Word memos and Excel models for internal discussions
- Take lead on preparing all aspects of internal investment documentation in form of Power-Point presentations, Word memos and Excel models, to be presented to governing bodies of Novo Holdings (e.g. the Investment Committee and in some instances the Board of Directors)
- Manage projects by taking a lead on scoping and managing the content and timing of relevant due diligence streams (e.g. commercial, financial, legal, IT, operational) related to investment projects and portfolio companies
- Take lead on creating models in Excel to assess new potential and current investments, including all aspects of bottom-up operational forecasting, three-statement models (profit and loss, balance sheet and cash flow statement), valuation models (e.g. discounted cash flow valuation, return / hold / leveraged buyout valuation and peer group valuation), liquidation models and capital structure models
- Develop pipeline of investment opportunities by sourcing, tracking and documenting new investment opportunities through e.g. desktop research, external meetings, expert calls, external advisors and conferences
- Continuously expand industry expertise through e.g. desktop research, external meetings, expert calls, external advisors and conferences
- Leverage the knowledge and capabilities of the broader Novo Holdings team and collaborate with other departments and colleagues in other locations on investment projects in overlapping industries
We are looking for a candidate with:
- 2+ years at a top investment bank or leading consultancy; and
- 2+ years at a leading investment organisation
- Master’s in business administration or similar advanced finance or economics degree in Business or life science related undergraduate degree
- Experience with complex negotiation processes and transactions, both in the public and private setting
- Deep practical and academic expertise in corporate finance and valuation
- Significant first-hand experience with all aspects of due diligence processes on investment projects
- Professional experience or academic background in life sciences
- Independent, self-motivated, strong work ethic
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build good relationships
- High attention to detail
- Ambitious, proactive and with a structured approach to problem-solving
- Intellectual quickness, curiosity, discipline, resourcefulness and resilience
- Strong sense of integrity and high ethical standards
Working at Novo Growth
Our strategic goal is to build on and enhance our position as a global leader in Life Science investing.
We are a value-based company; what we do and how we do it go hand in hand. You will be working in a dynamic, dedicated and ambitious team with highly skilled colleagues and you will be trusted with significant operational freedom.