Research Associate, Biotechnology
RBC Capital Markets
New York, NY
What is the opportunity?
Responsible for fundamental analysis of companies in the Biotechnology
What will you do?
- Develop an expertise in the Biotechnology sector
- Coordinate, generate and maintain research reports, presentations and databases
- Assist in the development and detailed modeling of company specific financials
- Provide research support to analyst as required
- Support and answer client and internal queries as they relate to the sector
- Proactively identify operational risks/ control deficiencies in the business
- Review and comply with Firm Policies applicable to your business activities
- Escalate operational risk loss events, control deficiencies and risks that you identify to your line manager and the relevant risk and control functions promptly
What do you need to succeed?
- Advanced degree (PhD or MD) in life sciences (e.g., neurobiology, cancer biology, pharmacology, metabolic pathways) and/or other field relevant to therapeutics (patent law, biostatistics)
- 1-2 years of work experience, preferably in a non-academic setting such as biopharma industry/drug development, life sciences consulting, or investment banking
- Familiarity with accounting and financial modeling
- Previous exposure to the biopharmaceuticals sector, with an understanding of how to contextualize and interpret preclinical and clinical trial data
- Efficient writing capabilities
- Strong computer skills (Excel) with ability to quickly learn new platforms
- Detail oriented with solid analytical skills and ability to synthesize data points into trends beyond the mainstream
- Energetic, self-motivated and an ability to perform under pressure and meet time sensitive deadlines, sometimes for extended periods of time
- Demonstrated passion for equity/financial markets
- NYSE Licensing, Series 7, 63, 86, 87
- Prior sell-side equity research experience in biotechnology, pharma, or specialty pharmaceuticals
- Good understanding of financials/stock market
- Knowledge of Wolters Kluwer software and IMS are a plus
What’s in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team