Private Equity Senior Associate
Title: Private Equity Senior Associate
Reports to: Private Equity Partners
Location: New York City
The Private Equity Senior Associate will support senior members of the private equity/venture capital team at OrbiMed Advisors, LLC a leading investment firm dedicated exclusively to the healthcare sector, with over $19 billion in assets under management. OrbiMed invests globally across the spectrum of healthcare companies, from venture capital start-ups to large multinational companies. OrbiMed's team of more than 100 employees manages a series of private equity funds, public equity funds, royalty/debt funds and other investment vehicles. OrbiMed maintains its headquarters in New York City, with additional offices in San Francisco, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Mumbai and Herzliya. The Senior Associate will play an integral supporting role in the generation of new investment ideas, in conducting due diligence for new investments, and in the management of current portfolio positions. The successful candidate will have a strong scientific and/or clinical background and be able to understand, interpret, and integrate information from diverse therapeutic areas in order to reach investment conclusions. It will also be critically important for candidates to understand business principles and market dynamics in the drug and medical device sectors. Specific activities will include financial modeling using Excel, working with consultants to perform scientific and financial due diligence, preparing PowerPoint presentations for both internal and external audiences, working with attorneys to draft term sheets and investment documents, analyzing data from various information vendors, and maintaining proprietary firm databases. The complexity of work projects would be expected to increase as the Senior Associate develops. The position is designed to last for 2-3 years, but potentially could be extended for select candidates. The position provides an exceptional opportunity for individuals interested in gaining experience in healthcare private equity & venture capital investing.
- Participate in and support the investment process from opportunity identification through due diligence and deal closing.
- Conduct due diligence calls with physicians and other consultants independently.
- Attend company management meetings and investment/medical conferences.
- Conduct company screens in various therapeutic areas using proprietary specialized databases.
- Build and maintain company financial models and detailed market models for products/diseases.
- Gather information using various data sources, including the Web, scientific literature and consultants to the firm.
- Assist in board-level management of portfolio companies; attend board meetings as an observer in select cases, and work on projects to build portfolio company value.
- Assist in the preparation of investor presentations.
Qualifications and Experience
- M.D. or Ph.D in biological or chemical sciences from a top-tier university.
- Bachelor's degree from a top-tier university.
- Must have Two to Fiveyears of professional experience at a top-tier investment bank or consulting firm (healthcare focus) or a biotechnology or medical device company, preferably in areas of business development or M&A.
- Impeccable integrity, work ethic and commitment.
- Self-starter attitude.
- Strong financial modeling skills.
- Significant experience with PowerPoint.
- Motivated to learn the investing business.
- Organized, detail-oriented personality with the ability to multi-task in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Candidates should be team players who enjoy working in a non-hierarchical, collaborative firm culture.
- Compensation will be competitive for the industry.