Principal, Viking Global Opportunities
Viking Global Investors LP
New York, NY | San Francisco, CA
Viking Global Investors LP is a global investment firm founded in 1999, with offices in Greenwich, New York, San Francisco, Hong Kong and London. The firm manages approximately $50 billion in capital through long-short, long only, public/private hybrid and private-only strategies.
The role will focus on the sourcing, execution and monitoring of private investments for the Viking Global Opportunities (VGO) Team. With ~$17.5 billion, VGO manages Viking’s private/illiquid investments through its global hybrid and drawdown funds which were launched in 2015 and 2021, respectively. This particular position will focus on private investments in the healthcare sector, with an emphasis on biotech. The role requires a flexible and motivated individual with a strong academic background in science; prior experience in investing/finance is a plus. The Principal is responsible for:
- Playing a central role in diligencing science-intensive investment opportunities.
- Performing quantitative and qualitative analysis on prospective investments; in most cases, this will include company and industry research, financial modeling, and interaction with service providers and/or co-investors
- Intensive operational due diligence (e.g. meeting with company management, touring facilities)
- Assisting with thematic market research, marketing efforts and other internal requests
- Supporting valuation, reporting and monitoring activities associated with portfolio companies
- Over time, becoming capable of sourcing / initiating high quality deals on his/her own
This is an opportunity to play a highly entrepreneurial role alongside a lean, proven team, with the support of one of the largest and most successful investment management firms globally.
The ideal candidate has the following qualifications:
- 4-7 years of professional experience; at least 2 years in healthcare-focused investing (public or private), equity research, investment banking, and/or consulting is a plus
- A strong academic background in science (MD or PhD not required, though a plus) and a record of professional excellence
- Strong quantitative, analytical, and interpersonal skills
The ideal candidate possesses the following traits:
- Passion for research and investing
- Intellectual honesty: admits when she/he is wrong, advocates when she/he is right and the team believes otherwise, and does not over or under “sell” investment ideas
- Independence of thought: has the ability to develop investment theses that run counter to consensus
- Strong quantitative and analytical abilities: has the intellectual toolkit to support investment theses with highly differentiated research
- Commerciality: possesses passion for evaluating the merits of business opportunities and drivers of financial success across a range of industries
- Presence: demonstrates maturity, good judgment, and efficient communication in all interactions with internal and external constituents
- Entrepreneurial and self-starting: takes a proactive approach to responsibilities, fitting in with a team of high-performing, motivated investment professionals