Investment Research Analyst
Commodore Capital LP
New York, NY
Commodore Capital is a healthcare investment firm specializing in small biopharmaceutical companies. We leverage our medical and investing experience by using a science-driven approach to make long-term investments in public and private companies. We focus on innovative companies that are developing medical products to meaningfully improve patients’ lives. The fund’s structure and unique, long-term capital base allows Commodore to partner with companies over a multi-year time horizon. As a relatively young fund, we expect to continue to grow substantially in the coming years.
The analyst will play a critical role in the investment research process. The initial focus of the role will be on performing due diligence on small-cap public and late-stage private biotechnology companies under the guidance of the co-portfolio managers. Over time, a high performing analyst will take on the additional responsibilities of idea sourcing, investment research prioritization, and management of junior analysts. Given the firm’s anticipated near-term growth, an excellent analyst will have outstanding opportunities for professional growth both now and in the future.
- Recommend long-term investments by gathering, prioritizing, and synthesizing complex medical and financial information from a wide range of sources
- Support the conduct of an efficient and effective research and decision-making process under the direction of the co-portfolio managers
- Solve unstructured problems with minimal outside guidance
- Always practice the highest levels of professionalism and ethics
- Maintain unwavering intellectual honesty and analytic rigor
- Contribute to a positive and supportive office environment and culture
- Gather and analyze clinical and preclinical data
- Find and review relevant published biomedical literature
- Understand current standards of care and resulting unmet needs
- Conduct effective interviews with leading clinical and scientific experts
- Construct market models
- Value small biotechnology companies using various valuation methodologies
- Conduct effective meetings with executives of private and public biotechnology companies
- Track and analyze corporate news in real-time
- Attend relevant medical conferences; identify and analyze the most investment-relevant information
- Synthesize the above information into an investment recommendation and effectively communicate the findings to the team
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Experience
- Advanced degree in life sciences (MD and/or PhD from a top-tier university preferred)
- Exceptional work ethic
- Strong interest in learning about novel therapeutics
- Ability to work independently and adhere to deadlines
- Resourceful/entrepreneurial approach to new challenges
- Extremely well-organized and detail-oriented
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Quickly learns, adopts, and maintains new processes
- Anticipates and proactively prevents problems before they happen
- Excellent judgment of when to execute versus when to ask for guidance
- Extensive experience with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically or internationally as needed (once pandemic subsides)
- Must be able to work full-time from our New York City offices
- An up-to-date resume. Please include GPA(s) and standardized test scores (SAT, MCAT, GRE, USMLE, etc.).
- A brief cover letter in which you answer the following questions:
- In what context(s) have you worked effectively in a team?
- What have you done that demonstrates your passion for drug development?
- 10 years from now, what do you hope to have accomplished in your career?