Investment Associate, Health
Investment Associate, Health
Emerson Collective (EC) is a social change organization that uses a broad range of tools including philanthropy, investing, and policy solutions to create the greatest good for the greatest number of people. Established and led by Laurene Powell Jobs, we work to create new possibilities for individuals and communities. Our work is focused on advancing immigration reform, reimagining the future of high school, seeking an end to gun violence in Chicago, championing environmental justice, and accelerating cancer research and treatments.
Emerson Collective is impatient but optimistic, and bold but pragmatic in its approach. We are seeking colleagues with both the audacity to dream up new ways to improve the world, and the determination to make them a reality.
Emerson Collective Health Team is seeking an oncology-focused Investment Associate to work on the team’s investment efforts. The Health Team is forwarding its mission in oncology by partnering with researchers to accelerate transformative science, engaging in venture investing to support promising cancer therapeutics, diagnostics, research tools, and digital health companies; and empowering patients through unique projects and partnerships.
Our success in the field of healthcare is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. As an Investment Associate on the Health Team, you will be involved in all aspects of the investment process, from idea generation and sourcing, through diligence, deal execution, and portfolio support. This role reports to the Director of Health Investments.
Role and Responsibilities
- Source new investment opportunities through meetings with researchers, other investment professionals, management teams, attending conferences, etc. Sourcing could entail identifying new exciting startups for potential investments, or new and exciting science to potentially build a company around.
- Complete due diligence for potential investments, including assessing science, management teams, business models, commercial opportunities, intellectual property, competitive landscape, etc. to ensure they are financially and scientifically sound, in-line with Emerson Collective’s values, and have the potential to significantly help cancer patients.
- Support portfolio companies through ad hoc check-ins, strategic or operational support, and other portfolio capacity building activities.
- Evaluate, codify, and regularly communicatekey trends in cutting-edge oncology research, updates from existing portfolio companies, and investment proposals to the rest of the Health Team, the Investment Committee, and the Emerson community more broadly.
- Attend and represent EC at various conferences and events.
- Contribute to EC initiatives beyond the Health Team. EC believes strongly that crosspollination of ideas and solutions leads to more lasting and catalytic change and encourages all members to engage with their colleagues working on diverse problems.
Qualifications, Skills, and Requirement
- Bachelor’s degree in a life science field is required. MS, MD, or PhD a plus
- Prior work experience within the life science industry in translational research, clinical development, financial analysis or consulting capacity is preferred
- Familiarity with basic financial modeling
- Solid understanding of life science concepts, including but not limited to chemistry and biology fundamentals, the drug development process, and human disease
- Proven track record of ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and effectively manage and organize multiple projects concurrently
- Must have excellent written communication skills with ability to create concise and impactful written reports, correspondence, and responses to requests from team members as well as executive level members within the company
- Passionate about dramatically accelerating the pace of bringing oncology discoveries to patients to improve clinical outcomes
- Deeply interested in the scientific, financial, and business aspects of pushing forward exciting research through commercial entities
- Highly organized and proactive, capable of handling multiple in-flight projects and navigating situations while dealing with high levels of uncertainty
- Comfortable working independently and in a collaborative and ever-dynamic work environment where team members are open, flexible, and adaptable to the needs of the organization
- A team player who enjoys leveraging learnings from the Investment Associate role to support non-investment efforts of the Health Team, as well as broader efforts across EC
This position will be based in Palo Alto and San Francisco, CA, but the Health Team will be remote until it is safe to return to the office (TBD). Some travel will be required but will generally not exceed 30%.
The salary for this role is highly competitive and commensurate with experience. Emerson Collective offers excellent organizational benefits.
Send your resume and a short (<250 words) note about your interest in the role. Although all applications will be considered, we are unable to respond to inquiries.
Consistent with federal, state,and local law, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, Veteran status, or other protected category.