Equity Research Internship – Biotechnology & Pharmaceuticals
Remote/Flexible | New York, NY | Boston, MA
About the Position
Guggenheim is seeking a part-time Research Associate to join its Pharma/Biotechnology team for approximately 19 hours per week to work virtually with our Boston-based analyst teams. This is a paid internship. This position requires that interns are enrolled in school, and preferably pursuing a PhD or MS in a relevant biomedical science.
Working with Senior Pharmaceutical/Biotechnology Analyst, this person will help with in-depth analysis of specific areas within the biotechnology sector (with a particular focus on immunology and innovative medicines and technologies in development; a preliminary emphasis will be on the treatment and prevention of viral diseases with current and newer vaccines), analyze clinical and preclinical data, and help to produce equity research reports.
Research is fast-paced, demanding and intellectually stimulating. We look for candidates who possess:
- proven ability to analyze and interpret scientific/academic papers and literature
- intellectual curiosity and the ability to work independently
- excellent writing, organizational, and analytical skills with the ability to produce accurate, detailed materials while meeting tight deadlines
- the ability to work well under pressure in a demanding environment
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Provide support to the Senior Analyst/s through fundamental analysis and investment research in equity markets with an emphasis on original, bottom-up research in the Healthcare sector
- Write comprehensive research reports and present findings; draft reports/notes on relevant investment themes, events and breaking news
- Conduct primary research through industry sources including, but not limited to, financial analysis, due diligence clinical data and industry trends, company management and strategies
- Analyze individual Biotechnology companies to build and update fully integrated financial and valuation models.
- Update analyst marketing handout regularly
- Respond to client and internal inquiries regarding research findings and directives
Skills & Experience Required
- Must be enrolled in school, pursuing a PhD or MS in a relevant biomedical science (preferably from an East Coast school – Boston or New York City).
- Exceptional analytical, verbal, and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Powerpoint and Excel
- Attention to detail
- Strong team orientation
- Ability to search, understand and interpret scientific and medical publications and presentations
- Working knowledge of and interest in accounting, finance, and valuation
About Guggenheim Securities
Guggenheim Securities is the investment banking and capital markets business of Guggenheim Partners. Guggenheim Securities offers a full range of services that fall into four broad categories: Advisory, Sales and Trading, Financing, and Research. Guggenheim Securities is headquartered in New York, with additional offices in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco.
About Guggenheim Partners
Guggenheim Partners is a global investment and advisory firm with more than $305 billion1 in assets under management. Across our three primary businesses of investment management, investment banking, and insurance services, we have a track record of delivering results through innovative solutions. With more than 2,300 professionals worldwide as of December 31, 2017, based in over 25 offices in six countries and headquarters in New York and Chicago. Our commitment is to advance the strategic interests of our clients and to deliver long-term results with excellence and integrity. We invite you to learn more about our expertise and values by visiting GuggenheimPartners.com and following us on Twitter at twitter.com/guggenheimptnrs.
1(Assets under management are as of 12.31.2017 and include consulting services for clients whose assets are valued at approximately $66bn.)
To succeed in the Guggenheim culture, candidates must be self-starters and strive for results. We are looking for people who operate as business owners, adhere to the highest standards and think creatively to realize opportunities, wherever they may be.
Guggenheim Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diversified and inclusive workforce. To apply, please visit our website: http://guggenheimpartners.com/careers [req number to be added]