Equity Research Associate - Biotechnology
New York, NY
LifeSci Capital, a healthcare-dedicated investment bank, is rapidly expanding and seeking to add multiple Equity Research Associates to work in the New York office and focus on the small-mid cap space. Each associate will join an existing analyst team, which are divided by therapeutic areas of expertise, and include oncology, neuroscience, immunology, and gene therapy. Research associates serve a variety of functions, with day to day responsibilities focused on the preparation of research reports varying in size and scope from quick briefs regarding material events to more in-depth, original thought pieces on a range of topics.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for conducting thought provoking research, exceptional written/verbal communication skills, and the ability to work efficiently alone or in small group settings. Prior backgrounds of interest include those with scientific rigor, which may include MS, PhD, or MD, as well as those with relevant job experience such as sell-side or buy-side, healthcare consulting, and/or the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industries; however, past experience and graduate degrees are not mandatory.
- Provide support to Senior Analyst in coverage of companies in the biotech/biopharma space.
- Thoroughly review scientific literature to evaluate a treatment approach or modality.
- Write in-depth research notes and initiation reports.
- Conduct expert physician calls and surveys.
- Build/update financial models.
- Interact with senior management at corporations and investors in the space.
Experience and Skills
- Qualified candidates will possess a strong science background academically as well as research experience. Individuals with graduate degrees (MS/PhD/MD) are preferred.
- Strong communication skills in both written and verbal forms.
- Ability to search, understand, and interpret scientific and medical publications and presentations.
- Serious ability to nerd out on the science. Also an ability to tone that down when necessary.
- Some exposure to finance and financial statements a plus.
- Interest in the stock market and healthcare equity investment research.