Biotechnology Equity Research Associate
New York, NY
Have you, on more than one occasion, found yourself going down a PubMed wormhole after listening to a particularly interesting podcast? Are you a scientist who has also contemplated becoming an investigative journalist because you love to chase down clues, connect dots, and tell a compelling story? If you were a bird, would you have just as much fun pecking around deep in the weeds as you would flying high to take-in the 30,000-foot view? Do you know how to link up an IS, CF, and BS? If not, did you already start Googling-around to figure out what that meant and how to do it?
Canaccord Genuity LLC, a middle market investment bank seeks a driven, self-motivated candidate for equity research associate position on biotechnology team. The position is based in New York. This associate will work closely with senior analysts to support biotech coverage, with a focus on companies working in the genetic medicine and rare disease spaces.
- Conduct primary and secondary research evaluating new and existing therapeutics by analyzing scientific literature, attending medical conferences, and speaking with key opinion leaders
- Translate scientific and medical information into financial projections
- Dissect company earnings releases and regulatory filings to develop understanding of financials and corporate strategy
- Use projections and company financials to build models and assess company valuations; maintain/update models on an ongoing basis
- Write industry and company specific reports to communicate findings to sales, trading, company management teams, and institutional investor clients
- Monitor company and industry news flow with ability to filter signal from noise as it relates to the potential of new information to impact financial projections and/or stock trading
- Build relationships and maintain lines of communication with internal and external stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry/Biology, Bioengineering, or related field; Advanced degree is a plus but not required
- Intellectual curiosity
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, small team environment where things can move and change quickly
- Exemplary written and communication skills – ability to clearly convey ideas to a diverse audience *and* be a great listener
- Aptitude for working independently balanced with strong interpersonal capabilities to work effectively in a team environment when needed – committed to meeting deadlines in either case
- High degree of attention to detail
- Strong financial modeling skills, or desire to learn… quickly
Canaccord Genuity LLC is the global capital markets division of Canaccord Genuity Group Inc. (CF : TSX | CF. : LSE), offering institutional and corporate clients idea-driven investment banking, advisory, research, sales and trading services from offices in 11 countries worldwide. The firm provides full-service offerings in critical sectors of the global economy: Technology, Life Sciences, Consumer Products, Energy, Mining and Metals, Real Estate, Infrastructure, Sustainability & Cleantech, Financials, Agriculture and Fertilizers, Transportation and Industrial Products, Paper and Forestry Products, Investment Trusts, Support Services, Structured Product, Aerospace and Defense, Leisure and Private Equity.
Canaccord Genuity has operations in Canada, the U.S., the U.K., France, Germany, Ireland, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia and Barbados.
Canaccord Genuity Group Inc. (“Canaccord Genuity” and “the Company”) and all of its subsidiaries aim to create a workplace where diversity is encouraged and in which all employees have the opportunity to realize their potential for excellence. We believe that diverse teams create better business outcomes, and we welcome employees from all backgrounds. We appreciate the insight and experience employees have to offer and endeavor to build a diverse and inclusive workforce.