Director Or Associate, Deep Tech Vertical
P33 is on a mission to drive inclusive, global tech leadership for Chicago. With an honest and realistic view of our city, P33 is fueled by a need to unlock the potential of the digital age to solve some of the toughest problems facing Chicago, such as equitable access to digital careers, talent retention, deep science commercialization and gaps in our growth stage startup ecosystem. P33 is co-chaired by Penny Pritzker, former Secretary of Commerce and Founder and Chairman of PSP Partners; Chris Gladwin, CEO and Co-founder of Ocient and Cleversafe; and Kelly Welsh, President of the Civic Committee of The Commercial Club of Chicago.
People, Purpose, Plans and Progress is the philosophy behind P33, with the vision that in 2033, a hundred years after the 1933 Chicago World’s Fair (A Century of Progress), our city is again a global technology leader. P33 is a collaboration among hundreds of Chicagoland leaders working together to turbocharge Chicago’s tech economy for all Chicagoans. P33 leverages Chicago’s strength – its diverse economy, strong system of universities and research centers, and growing start-up ecosystem – to catalyze Chicago’s tech economy into its next chapter.
We are building our team and are looking for highly motivated and enthusiastic professionals to join us as we realize the dream of a more inclusive and thriving Chicago tech ecosystem. If you’re passionate about improving Chicago and its life sciences and technology community – join our team!
About the Role
P33 is committed to building a Deep Tech ecosystem in Chicago. We have the universities, the hospitals, the science, and the will, we just need to apply strategic thinking and then organize the community. To date, P33 has developed ideas for programs that could establish our Deep Tech/ Lifesciences ecosystem and P33 is searching for a Lifesciences and/or healthcare professional, either in the Chicago area or willing to relocate, to help. The ideal professional should have experience in an operating and/or strategic role in consulting, banking, venture, or a tech company and have a good working knowledge of how innovation is developed and financed. They will partner with P33’s Senior Vice President of Lifesciences and Healthcare to strengthen the offerings of this P33 vertical. This person will work closely with SVP and P33’s internal team to support programs via primary and secondary research, presentation creation, stakeholder management, and input into the strategy. Our team is very collaborative, and we are looking for someone with strong problem solving, analytical, and communication skills who will be able to do the deep research necessary to support the Deep Tech initiatives which span biopharma, medical device, healthcare, artificial intelligence/machine learning, quantum information sciences, energy, and other technological advancements that are rooted in the Chicagoland area. In addition, the successful candidate will be able to work across multiple stakeholders and organizations to build a coalition for our priorities. While supporting the learning of all team members with our development program, we recognize that each individual brings a unique set of skills to the role and responsibility is given rapidly based on ability and experience.
The successful candidates will have the following responsibilities:
- Maintain strategy materials including presentations, GANTT charts, and task lists updating as needed
- Create stakeholder management tracking materials and provide input into stakeholder strategy, iteratively refining documents as needed, and maintaining Salesforce to reflect updates
- Develop and support outreach strategy for stakeholders
- Formulate plans for implementation of recommendations
- Negotiate and overcome objections from stakeholders and various levels of management
- Ensure the work of the organization is coordinated and progresses efficiently
Research and Analysis (50%)
- Data driven research into both the markets and the scientific advancements of biopharma, medical device, healthcare, artificial intelligence/machine learning, quantum information sciences, energy, and other technologies as they emerge from Chicago stakeholders
- Research planning for primary research as needed as well as integration of research internally and externally as it relates to supporting Deep Tech initiatives
- Mapping of Chicagoland research assets including faculty, innovative companies, connecting incubators, large industrial partners
- Mapping and updating of Chicagoland and national trends across Deep Tech initiatives and assets including identification of national and local conferences and initiatives
Deep Tech Initiatives Strategy and Communications (25%)
- Input and creation of strategies and tactics to improve the commercialization of Deep Tech in the Chicagoland area
- Communications of strategies internal and external to P33 including advisory board and stakeholder partners
- Development of plans and tactics to help move strategies forward based on understanding of the local and national space
- Minimum 3+ years of industry, consulting, and/or venture experience
- Bachelor’s Degree and science background required, also considering MA, MBA, and other advanced degree with science background
- Working knowledge of, and relationships with, the Chicago Business tech and innovation market, as well as other competitive markets
- Ability to engage in ambiguous problem solving and should possess the ability to function efficiently and independently in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Results-oriented team player with the ability to facilitate productive engagement across diverse players
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Technical proficiency: ability to understand enough about new technology spaces to develop strategies and tactics, ability to review technical literature and conduct primary research
P33 utilizes the Microsoft Office Suite. All applicants must have a strong proficiency in this software
Equal Opportunity Employer
P33 is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The organization provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
If you need assistance or an accommodation to complete this application due to a disability, you may contact us at hiring@P33.com.