A science-first software company, nference has been called “The Google of Biomedicine” by the Washington Post. Our proprietary AI-enabled software is the only platform that addresses the end-to-end challenges associated with unlocking the potential of electronic medical records (EMRs) in a privacy-preserving manner. The exponential growth of biomedical data, driven by the adoption of EMRs, provides an unprecedented opportunity to create transformative technologies and products in healthcare. nference partners with medical centers to turn decades of rich, but predominantly unstructured, data captured in EMRs into powerful solutions that enable scientists to discover and develop the next generation of personalized diagnostics and treatments for patients worldwide. We believe that the greatest opportunity for our generation to elevate human health is by developing technology to curate and synthesize the world's biomedical data in order to enable that scientific discovery.
nference is headquartered in Kendall Square (Cambridge, MA), the world’s biotech capital, with offices in Rochester (Minnesota), Bangalore (India) and Toronto (Canada). You will work alongside a multidisciplinary team of serial entrepreneurs from the tech and biotech worlds along with highly trained, innovative and dedicated scientists/physicians (PhD in Biology/Genomics and/or MD) from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Harvard Medical School.
Clinical Scientist – Cambridge, MA Office
nference inc. is seeking a highly skilled and experienced Clinical Scientist. This position would be focused on managing clinical collaborations between nference, Mayo Clinic and our industry partners. In addition, this position would have responsibilities for providing clinical leadership and support to a diverse array of client-facing and internal research projects, medical informatics engineering, and product development. This position requires you work closely with physicians, scientists, data scientists, and software engineers, both internally and externally, to drive forward cutting-edge research and develop new models of patient care. You must be a self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced, agile environment – which requires wearing many hats, the ability to change direction quickly, and an eagerness to learn new technologies as needed.
This position will be based in our Cambridge, MA office.
- Work collaboratively with physicians and biopharma researchers to develop novel insights to address hypotheses across various diseases leveraging the nference platform (nferX)
- Contribute clinical knowledge and leadership to a diverse array of client-facing and internal research projects, engineering endeavors, and product development
- Aid in the management of other data science staff and the overall clinical and scientific project portfolio with our healthcare and biopharma partners
- Draft and review collaborative project proposals that include concise project aims, deliverables and timelines.
- Actively participate in presenting or co-presenting collaborative work at conferences and authoring articles within peer reviewed journals
- MD or MD-PhD with a quantitative background, including but not limited to clinical informatics, bioinformatics, computer science, statistics, applied math, physics, or engineering
- Additional post-graduate training, such as residency or fellowship, is highly valued but not required
- Strong clinical acumen acquired through in-hospital experience
- Coding experience
- Required: python (pandas, scikit-learn), mongo, SQL, jupyter notebooks, conceptual familiarity with various machine-learning or statistical approaches
- Desired: R, pytorch
- Strong understanding of various types of healthcare information and data such as laboratory results, medications, clinical notes, images (MRI, X-ray, etc.)
- Knowledge in clinical terminology standards (ICD, SNOMED, LOINC, etc) strongly preferred
- High degree of critical thinking and independent problem solving
- Leadership track record of managing others in their day to day activities along with overseeing overall project goals
- Track record of successfully managing multiple, concurrent projects
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Adaptable and curious
- Excellent decision making, human relations, time-management and organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- At least 1 year of clinical experience and some experience doing EHR based research OR 1+ years experience doing EHR-based research with clinical collaborators
- Experience writing code to extract, curate, and/or analyze data within the EHR systems for clinical research or hospital operations
- Software development experience in Python
- Has used sklearn, tensor flow, and HuggingFace or related frameworks to implement or build ML models
- Has experience with Medicare policy/reimbursement/cost-effectiveness research
- Experience with being a tech lead or project manager
- Has experience working on teams with a fairly flat hierarchy
- Has demonstrated intellectual breadth/adaptability (i.e. comfortable working across diverse domains and building the plane while flying it)
Position includes competitive sick/vacation/holiday package, equity, health, dental, life insurance, STD, LTD and 401k plan. Email response only. nference will only respond to candidates selected for further consideration.
nference is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, gender identity, gender expression, sex/gender, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military/veteran status, citizenship status, basis of genetic information, or any other group protected by law.