China Health Care Research Analyst
Multiple | Remote/Flexible
TITLE: China Health Care Research Analyst
LOCATION: San Francisco, California
THE COMPANY: Matthews International Capital Management, LLC (“Matthews Asia”)
Matthews Global Investors is a broker-dealer subsidiary of Matthews International Capital Management, LLC, an independent, privately owned investment management firm and the largest dedicated Asia investment specialist in the United States. Founded in 1991, Matthews believes in the long-term growth of Asia and has focused its efforts and expertise within the region, investing through a variety of market environments. Matthews employs a bottom-up, fundamental investment philosophy, with a focus on long-term investment performance.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Lead Portfolio Manager, Asia Growth Fund
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
We are seeking an individual to join the Matthews Asia Asia Growth Fund to perform fundamental research and investment analysis in support of the Portfolio Managers specifically in the Chinese health care sector.
The candidate will be responsible for conducting both qualitative and quantitative analyses, focusing on industrial analysis, business models, products and services, management quality and competitive advantages for the Chinese health care sector.
This role will be responsible for supporting and coordinating investment decisions for a series of SEC-registered mutual funds that specialize in international markets.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Research and analysis of individual companies, as well as sector, regional and economic factors affecting issuers based in, or with significant exposure to Asia Pacific
- Stock selection
- Work within a team to conduct research and generate ideas for better returns of the portfolio; develop investment strategy
- Asset allocation of the portfolio based on the changing environments of risks in macro economy, different sectors and individual equities and rebalance stock position
- Monitor the latest news/developments on the underlining stocks in the portfolio and evaluate the impacts on the stocks using qualitative and quantitative method. Also monitor macroeconomic news
- Meet with company managements on a frequent basis through on-site company visits, conference calls and meetings in our own office
- Communicate with existing/potential investors/advisers on the fund’s investment philosophy and methodology
- Collaborate with lead and/or co-portfolio manager
- Market fund, appear in media and conferences
- Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s degree, CFA and/or MD preferred
- At least 3-5 years of work experience in the investment management industry
- Experience as research analyst in the Chinese health care sector
- Experience in Pharmaceutical and Medical Product Practice strongly preferred
- Ideally, the candidate is a U.S citizen or authorized to work in the U.S on a permanent basis
- Strong background in Asia Pacific required
- Keen interest in investing and a demonstrable conviction in Asia-oriented investments and companies
- Working knowledge of tools such as Bloomberg, FactSet and strong Excel skills
- Willingness to travel to Asia is required
- Fluent in Mandarin
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative analytical skills
- Strong understanding of financial statements
- High level of integrity
- Team player
- Communication skills - Ability to articulate clearly an investment case in writing and speech
Matthews International Capital Management, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. The Company does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), age, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, political activity or affiliation, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, medical condition as defined under applicable law, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws or ordinances.