Biotech/Pharma – Research Analyst - Franklin Equity Group-840392
San Mateo, CA
At Franklin Templeton, everything we do is focused on one thing – delivering better client outcomes. We do that by partnering closely with our clients, assessing their strategic needs, and identifying the solution or solutions that can meet the challenge. Over 12,000 employees working in 34 countries around the world are dedicated to servicing investment solutions for our clients in more than 160 countries. For more than 70 years our success has been a direct result of the talent, skills and persistence of our people, and we are looking for qualified candidates to join our team.
Franklin Equity Group is an investment advisory unit of Franklin Templeton managing in excess of $160 billion across a variety of mutual funds and other investment vehicles. The Franklin Equity Group brings together more than six decades of investment experience offering in-depth expertise in managing growth, value and hybrid/balanced equity strategies that cover global, regional and sector specialties. We believe that attractive risk-adjusted returns can be achieved over time by using a team-oriented collaborative approach and disciplined, bottom-up fundamental research.
We are currently looking for a Biotechnology/Pharma Research Analyst to join the Franklin Equity Group in San Mateo, California.
What are the responsibilities?
- Perform thorough fundamental analysis of biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies in multiple therapeutic areas
- Research drug candidates by analyzing scientific literature, attending medical conferences, and speaking with thought-leading physicians
- Develop deep disease/therapeutic area expertise
- Interface with company management, sell-side analysts, competitors, customers, and other industry contacts
- Make buy and sell recommendations of biotechnology and pharmaceutical stocks to general and sector fund managers
- Participate in the portfolio management of our biotechnology sector strategies
What ideal qualifications, skills & experience would help someone to be successful?
- Bachelor's degree in life sciences and graduate degree: MD or PhD is strongly preferred. Course work or experience in clinical trial design and statistics a plus.
- At least 2 years of buy-side (public equities, private equity, venture capital) and/or sell-side (equity research, banking) experience following the pharmaceutical or biotechnology sector
- Relevant corporate/industry experience will also be considered
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to build and maintain detailed financial models
- Outstanding work ethic, attention to detail and ability to work well on a team
- Ability to consume, distill large quantities of information and develop insights from vast sources of information, including research reports, industry news, daily news publications, company press releases, etc.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical thinking skills a must
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work well in a collaborative environment
- Three weeks paid time off the first year
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with 75% company match on your pre-tax and/or Roth contributions, up to the IRS limits
- Employee Stock Investment Program
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Purchase of company funds with no sales charge
- Onsite fitness center and recreation center*
- Onsite cafeteria*
*Only applicable at certain locations