Biotechnology Investment Analyst – Intern
New York City, NY
Commodore Capital is seeking a Biotechnology Investment Analyst Intern for a Summer and/or Fall 2023 internship. The ideal intern is an MD and/or PhD student expecting to graduate in 2024 who is interested in a career in biotech investing. Over the summer, the intern will gain exposure to multiple aspects of the investment research process. The focus of the internship will be learning to perform scientific and clinical due diligence on small- and mid-cap public and late-stage private biotechnology companies under the guidance of the investment team. Over the course of the internship, an intern can expect to work on several different investment projects.
This is a paid, full-time, 10+ week internship opportunity based in our New York City office. Applications are due by February 10, 2023.
Commodore Capital is a healthcare investment firm specializing in small- and mid-sized biopharmaceutical companies. We leverage our medical and investing experience by using a science-driven approach to make long-term investments in public and private companies. We focus on innovative companies that are developing therapeutics designed to meaningfully improve patients’ lives. The firm’s long-term capital base allow Commodore to partner with biotech companies over a multi-year time horizon.
- Learn to analyze investment opportunities by gathering, prioritizing, and synthesizing complex medical and financial information from a wide range of sources
- Support the conduct of an efficient and effective research and decision-making process under the direction of the investment team
- Develop a skillset to solve unstructured problems
- Practice the highest levels of professionalism and ethics
- Maintain unwavering intellectual honesty and analytical rigor
- Contribute to a positive and supportive office environment and culture
- Help conduct effective meetings with executives of private and public biopharmaceutical companies
- Synthesize and effectively communicate your work
- Gather and analyze clinical and preclinical data
- Find and review relevant published biomedical literature
- Understand current standards of care and the resulting unmet needs
- Conduct effective interviews with leading clinical and scientific experts
- Construct market models
- Value development stage biopharmaceutical companies using various valuation methodologies
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Experience
- Candidate for an advanced degree in life sciences (MD and/or PhD preferred). Candidates within ~1 year of graduation are preferred.
- Exceptional work ethic
- Strong interest in learning about novel therapeutics
- Ability to work independently and adhere to deadlines
- Resourceful/entrepreneurial approach to new challenges
- Extremely well-organized and detail-oriented
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to quickly learn and adopt new processes
- Excellent judgment of when to execute versus when to ask for guidance
- Must be able to work full-time from our New York City office for at least 10 consecutive weeks in Summer/Fall 2023
The expected annualized salary range for this role is $100k -$150k. Salary offers are based on a wide range of factors including relevant skills, training, experience, education, market and organizational factors.
How to Apply
Please submit the following to Matt Russell, Director of Operations, no later than 5pm EST on February 10, 2023.
- A current resume. Please include all GPA(s) and scores for all standardized tests you have taken (e.g. SAT, ACT, MCAT, GRE, USMLE, GMAT).
- A brief cover letter in which you answer the following questions:
- In what context(s) have you worked effectively in a team?
- What have you done that demonstrates your passion(s) for biotechnology, drug development, and/or investing?
- 10 years from now, what do you hope to have accomplished in your career?
- What date range(s) are you available for an in-person internship in our NYC offices? We require a minimum of 10 weeks.