Biotech Investment Analyst
Saturn V Capital Management
About Our Firm
Saturn V Capital Management is an equity long/short fund focused on investing in biotech companies with upcoming clinical readouts. Our firm was launched in late 2021 and is based in Austin, TX. Currently the Saturn V Capital Management’s team consists of two investment professionals and one operating professional.
The firm was founded by Xiaoying Tian, who previously was an investment professional in Farallon Capital Management’s healthcare team. There she pioneered statistical methods to predict clinical trial outcomes for companies facing upcoming binary events. Using this data-driven approach, she applied fundamental and quantitative methods to underwrite clinical trials with a high degree of conviction.
She holds a PhD in Statistics from Stanford University where she collaborated extensively with Stanford Medical School. Her work was published in top science and statistical journals, including Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Ms. Tian also earned a BS in Mathematics from Fudan University, graduating top of her class and ranking 4th nationally in the Chinese Undergraduate Mathematical Competition.
Our rapidly growing firm is seeking an additional investment analyst to join our team. This is an opportunity to work side by side with the Founder & CIO, who is a process driven and a highly successful investor.
The successful individual will have experience in researching biotech companies with a focus on clinical-stage therapeutics companies as a member of a small, entrepreneurial team.
The analyst will work side by side with the investment team, performing all aspects of security analysis. Our investment approach requires rigorous fundamental and statistical analysis. Accordingly, the analyst role requires comfort with a broad array of scientific and medical concepts as well as expertise in financial analysis and modeling.
Responsibilities will require you to:
- Conduct original, primary research on biotechnology companies.
- Rigorously analyze clinical data, research adjacent medical literature, and attend medical conferences.
- Review medical concepts and effectively communicate them to the team.
- Collaborate with and interview industry executives and key opinion leaders.
- Perform market research and effectively quantify market opportunities for given disease areas.
- Perform valuation analysis including discounted cash flow analysis, trading comparable analysis and M&A comparable.
- Synthesize a wide variety of information (clinical data, biological rationale, market sentiment and company financials) to form independent conclusions about companies.
- Advanced or undergraduate degree in the sciences.
- 2+ years of experience as buyside/sell side equity research analyst in biotech.
- Demonstrated excellence in financial modeling and fundamental analysis.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and desire to be a contributing member of a small, focused team.
If interested in this role, please submit a resume and a very brief write up telling us about 1) Your background in research and therapeutic science 2) What your ideal next position looks like.