Atlas Venture is a leading biotech venture capital firm. With the goal of doing well by doing good, we have been building breakthrough biotech startups since 1993. We work side by side with exceptional scientists and entrepreneurs to create new startups focused on cutting-edge innovation, sourced from leading global institutions and our team’s entrepreneurial networks. From product engine platforms to asset-centric entities, our seed-led venture creation strategy rigorously selects and focuses investment on the most compelling opportunities to build scalable businesses and realize value through translating high impact science into medicines for patients. We closed our $400 million Fund XII in June of 2020 to launch and build the next generation of great biotech companies. Since 2017, we have raised $1 billion across three funds to advance new medicines for patients. For more information, please visit www.atlasventure.com.
We are looking for talented individuals to join the team as an Associate/Senior Associate. The position would be based in our offices in the heart of Kendall Square in Cambridge, MA.
The Associate/Senior Associate will be a key member of the Investment Team at Atlas. The investment team is a small group managing a portfolio of over 50 active investments, the majority of which Atlas played an active role in company creation/building. As such, every member of the investment team plays a key role in all aspects of sourcing, diligence, company construction, operations, recruiting, and Atlas operations together with other members of the investment team and the broader Atlas ecosystem of entrepreneurs and portfolio company management teams.
Identification of investable opportunities
- Work in white space to identify latest discoveries, targets, and therapeutic technologies including outreach to academia, entrepreneurs and pharmaceutical companies
- Remain close to and immersed in the scientific frontier across multiple therapeutic areas, through broad reading of the scientific literature and conference attendance
- Cultivate relationships with investigators and entrepreneurs in advance of future investment or collaboration opportunities
Incisive diligence of internally generated or externally sourced opportunities
- Rapidly distill information and expert feedback to identify key risks, questions, and opportunities
- Benchmark against other approaches / technologies
- Assemble and execute diligence plan to evaluate key open questions, drawing on internal and external expertise as needed.
Co-leading company formation and/or initial investments with Atlas partners and EIRs
- Play a leading role in identifying and recruiting members of new company leadership and operations teams
- Model financing and founding capitalization tables
- Negotiate or support license / founding agreements with institutions and entrepreneurs as needed
- Articulate rationale for therapeutic and investment opportunity in materials for internal and external communication
Supporting seed company operations
- Contribute to identification and alignment around scientific and operational goals for early stage company operations
- Flexibly fill personnel gaps in seed company operations as needed - particularly business development, strategic finance, corporate operations, and strategy
Adding value to broader set of portfolio companies as board observer and as trusted counsellor for leadership teams and Atlas partners
- Develop relationships with company leadership teams, and contribute to their success by scouting for resources, potential challenges, and connections
- Proactively take on and assist with strategic projects (e.g., financing, strategy, communications), on an as-needed basis
- Support Atlas participation in subsequent financing rounds, including scenario modeling and sensitivity analysis
Supporting Atlas internal operations
- Annual meetings and presentations
- Organizing, supporting, and participating in interactions with pharmaceutical company leadership teams
- Coordinating and organizing ongoing portfolio reviews
As a key member of the Investment Team, this role will require a highly resourceful and motivated individual with a strong scientific background, gravitas, business orientation and experience and proven analytical skills.
Ideal candidates should:
- Possess an ability to incisively distill large sets of data and opinions into a small number of key questions and tractable next steps
- Demonstrate proactivity and comfort with a highly open-ended environment
- Display strong oral and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to distill most import messages, consistently giving and receiving candid feedback
- Establish broad and deep scientific knowledge, and an ability to get up to speed quickly in unfamiliar therapeutic or biology areas, identifying and drawing on external expertise as needed
- Be able to parallel process multiple ongoing projects at once and take ownership for driving next steps
- Establish credibility and trust-based relationship with Atlas partners, entrepreneurs and senior leaders in portfolio companies
- Develop broad familiarity with life sciences industry pipeline, history, and latest news
- Possess a Ph.D. or an M.D., and have experience in venture, strategy consulting, entrepreneurship, or other relevant business, finance or operational roles
- Be accretive to Atlas’ culture of integrity, collaboration, and inclusivity
- Be passionate about the ability to impact patient lives through transformational science
- Possess expertise with Microsoft Powerpoint and Excel
Atlas Venture is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.