Associate, Venture Capital Analysis
Avoro Capital Advisors
New York, NY
Associate, Venture Capital Analysis
Avoro Capital is a New York based investment firm focused primarily on life sciences and biotechnology. Our team analyzes opportunities across the spectrum of therapeutic areas, technologies, and stages of development. We believe that a deep understanding of the fundamental science or hands-on experience with medicine are essential tools for making investment decisions in our sector. We value the ability to be nimble, open minded, and to take and defend positions that go against conventional wisdom and consensus opinion.
Avoro is looking for an Associate to join our Venture team (Avoro Ventures). The individual in this role will work as a member Avoro Ventures Team that focus on private company biotech/healthcare investments. Working with the Venture Partners, who are seasoned healthcare investing experts, the Associate will support the process of evaluating privately held biotechnology and healthcare opportunities, conducting deep independent research and analysis, and assisting in investment due diligence.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Support investment diligence and existing investment maintenance.
- Conduct fundamental research on individual companies, scientific and clinical programs, and their potential therapeutics.
- Analyze private companies through literature searches, filings, and diligence.
- Create presentations and models for investment thesis support.
- Analyze news, events, and catalysts (e.g. scientific and clinical trial data).
- Interface with the external community through attending academic and investor forums and participating in management meetings.
The Associate is a demanding but rewarding position and is a key member of the Avoro’s Venture team. This role requires a curiosity and passion for the biotech/pharmaceutical industry and drug development. To be successful in this role, an individual must have a combination of scientific/medical knowledge, analytical abilities, critical and creative thinking, and interpersonal skills. The position will offer extensive exposure to the process of making and following investments, making it an ideal role for individuals early in their investment career.
Ideally, the candidate would have the following qualifications:
- 0-2 years of experience in Private company healthcare investing or other relevant healthcare industry experience with a focus on therapeutics such as consulting or Pharmaceutical/Biotech business development.
- Advanced degree in science or medicine (MS/MA, MD, PhD, or MD/PhD).
- Deep understanding of fundamental drug development research, preclinical data and/or translational medicine.
- A basic understanding for the drug development / research process.
- Strong analytical and modeling skills with the ability to do deep primary research, analyze and draw conclusions from information.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Organized, detail-oriented personality with the ability to multi-task in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Highly efficient, strong problem-solving ability.
- Strong work ethic, tenacity, and adherence to the highest standards of integrity.
- Ability to work independently and multitask within the context of a team.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to meet deadlines.
The candidate would need to be able to work from the Company office in New York City. Periodic travel required.
No phone calls please, the applicant will be contacted within two weeks if Avoro would like to interview a candidate.
In accordance with Section 8-107(32) as set forth in the New York City Human Rights Law, the minimum and maximum base annual salary for this role is as follows:
Base Salary Range: $125,000-$150,000
Actual base salaries may vary based on factors including but not limited to education, training, experience, past performance, and other job-related factors. Base salary is just one component of total compensation at Avoro, which may include, depending on eligibility and other job-related factors, year-end incentive compensation. In addition, Avoro provides a variety of benefits to employees, including health insurance coverage (Medical, Dental, Vision), life and disability insurance, paid holidays, sick and vacation time off.
Avoro does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military or veteran status or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. Avoro is committed to ensuring that employment opportunities are available to all employees and applicants, based solely on job-related criteria.