Associate / Senior Associate
Los Angeles, CA
Vida Ventures is looking for an investment professional to join the investment team at the Associate level, focused on investing in therapeutic companies in life sciences, and will be based in Los Angeles, CA.
The Associate will be an integral part of the investment team, participating in all aspects of the investment process, from sourcing, initial screening, and due diligence, through approval to post-investment monitoring and divestment.
The successful candidate will have a strong scientific background in life sciences and be able to understand, interpret, and integrate information from diverse therapeutic areas in order to reach investment conclusions. It will be critically important for candidates to understand business principles and market dynamics in the therapeutic sector of biotech. Specific activities will include preparing investment memos, financial modeling using Excel, working with consultants to perform scientific and financial due diligence, preparing PowerPoint presentations for both internal and external audiences, working with attorneys to draft term sheets and investment documents, analyzing data from various information vendors, and maintaining proprietary firm databases. The position provides an exceptional opportunity for individuals interested in gaining some of the broadest experience possible across biotech venture capital, private/growth equity, and public market investing.
The role involves:
- Identifying and assessing investment opportunities in the life sciences therapeutic space across a broad range of stages and asset classes: focus on venture capital, private/growth equity, and public opportunities as well.
- Conducting due diligence, closing investments, monitoring the performance of portfolio companies, and eventually helping to lead them into public listing or divestment.
- Research and financial analysis of target companies.
- Preparing and maintaining internal documentation on potential investments/portfolio companies, including investment memos and financial analyses.
- Establishing and cultivating relationships with companies, corporate partners, and other relevant institutions.
- Attending company management meetings and investment/medical conferences.
- Assisting in board-level management of portfolio companies; attending board meetings as an observer and work on projects to build portfolio company value.
- Advanced degree preferred (Ph.D., MD)
- Domain knowledge in life sciences, specifically in therapeutics R&D
- Relevant work experience in an operating role, a top-tier consulting firm, and/or finance industry, with a minimum of 1 year of work experience preferred.
- Organized, detail-oriented personality with the ability to multi-task in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Impeccable integrity, work ethic, and commitment, and the motivation to learn the investing business.
- Ability to work well within diverse teams and deal with multiple stakeholders.
- Candidates should be team players and have the ability to build a network in the life sciences community.
- Strong oral presentation, writing, and Powerpoint skills.