New York, NY | San Francisco, CA
THE FIRM: Occam Global
Occam Global was founded in 2011. The business is that of a strategic executive search firm focused on growth industries such as biotechnology, robotics, consumer electronics, energy and artificial intelligence. Our firm partners with top venture and private equity firms (Atlas Venture, F-Prime, ARCH, Flagship, MPM, Lux, Google Ventures, Farallon Capital, Foresite Labs) in Boston, New York, and San Francisco to build out the senior leadership teams of entrepreneurial companies. We recruit across the C-Suite, both commercial and R&D functions, and also have an active Board practice spanning both public and private companies.
The business model is to truly partner with venture firms and we frequently take our fee in equity thus becoming investors in the enterprises we help build. With “skin in the game,” we more precisely align ourselves with and embed ourselves in the fabric of the companies we help create.
Clients include highly successful entrepreneurial organizations such as:
- Semma Therapeutics
- Semma is a novel cell therapy/regenerative medicine company leveraging its platform to create an organic cure for type I diabetes using stem cells. The company received over $200M in funding from F-Prime and MPM. Occam worked closely with the scientific founder and investors as we successfully recruited a CEO and CFO for the company which was subsequently acquired for $950M by Vertex.
- Beam Therapeutics
- Beam is a platform company developing precision genetic medicines through base pair editing, a new therapeutic category in CRISPR gene editing. The company has raised over $220M in funding from ARCH and F-Prime and is prepping for a 2020 IPO. To that end, we were charged with finding a scientifically astute, externally facing CFO with strategic savvy around realizing the full potential of the platform. Ultimately we recruited the Head of Healthcare Investment Banking at JPMorgan into the role.
- Soft Robotics
- Soft Robotics was a startup spun out of George Whitesides’ lab at Harvard when we first encountered them. The company was built around a platform with soft robotic grippers allowing for the handling of delicate product. The focus was on warehouse automation and food handling. But the product was in its earliest stages and the company required an experienced technologist to preside over product development in order to refine the application. Occam recruited a formidable Chief Technology Officer from iRobot who has since orchestrated the creation of multiple commercial product offerings. Soft Robotics has since raised over $50M in funding, has partnered with major global strategics, and is now generating over $25M in revenue.
- Recursion Pharmaceuticals
- Recursion Pharmaceuticals is a computational biology company leveraging machine learning, automation and cellular imaging to process and rapidly discover new drugs at a fraction of the time and cost of traditional drug development. Occam successfully recruited a Chief Operating Officer and Chief Scientific Officer. The company has since raised over $200M from prominent tech and life science investors and established itself as a leader in this new radical modality.
- PACT Pharma
- PACT is seeking to eradicate solid tumors using transformational, first-in-class fully personalized NeoTCR-T cell therapies. Google Ventures has invested over $175M in the company. Occam successfully recruited a CFO from Proteus Digital Health to lead the public offering which is expected to happen in 2020.
- Zero Mass Water
- Zero Mass Water has developed a proprietary solar-powered system that draws on vapor in the atmosphere to produce drinking water as a standalone home-scale unit that is deployable practically anywhere, independent of all established infrastructure. The Gates Foundation, Jeff Bezos and Richard Branson have put over $150M into the company to further its global mission. Working closely with the founding CEO, Cody Friesen, Occam successfully recruited a Chief Operating Officer and Chief Revenue Officer into the company.
THE POSITION: Associate
The Associate will provide general support on a variety of search transactions. Job responsibilities include market research, competitive landscape analysis and the cultivation of candidates. The individual would also be expected to engage in more general marketing initiatives such as search proposals and opinion pieces. Depending on the manifest skills and interests, the individual could also get involved in firm-wide projects, such as website development and on-line marketing strategy and execution.
The skills required for success in the role include enlightened extroversion, intellectual curiosity, flexibility/an improvisational view of life and work, analytical discipline, behavioral nuance and a fluid vocal and written communication style. Furthermore, the ability to leverage science, medical and professional backgrounds in a client/candidate facing and business development capacity is strongly valued. Advanced degrees preferred.
This position provides an extraordinary opportunity to be at the center of the entrepreneurial universe at the cutting edge of innovation and company formation. We work with the smartest people, the most innovative technologies and the top tier venture firms. Upward mobility in the job, including increasing responsibility in the area of candidate interviewing as well as client interaction, would be the rewards of excellence in mastering the basics. Occam operates according to a learning ethic (“Life is a school, lest you're a fool” – T. Monk). We need people who listen, thrive on group interaction but are inspired to create their job content.