Associate, Nybc Ventures
New York Blood Center
At New York Blood Center Enterprises (NYBCe), one of the most comprehensive blood centers in the world, our focus is on cultivating excellence by merging cutting-edge innovation with diligent customer service, groundbreaking research, and comprehensive program and service development. Join us as we work towards meeting and exceeding the growing needs of our diverse communities, further our lifesaving strategic goals in a rapidly changing environment, and expand our impact on the local, national, and global communities we serve.
This is a unique opportunity to be a key member of the first venture fund solely dedicated to advancing innovation in blood and cell-based therapies and technologies. This individual will be expected to operate in a start-up environment and exhibit independence, leadership, and a strong work ethic. This role includes partnering with experienced industry leaders, venture capital organizations and internal stakeholders to drive both financial and impact value throughout the investment lifecycle.
The highly successful candidate should be able to demonstrate the ability to execute fundamental strategic analysis, apply sound business judgment, interact as peers with senior executives and manage complex, fast-moving processes all while working in a start-up environment. We are looking for an individual who is passionate about advancing innovation in blood and cellular medicines and technologies.
The position will be based full-time in NYBC Ventures’ office located in Boston’s Back Bay.
- Point person when it comes to scientific due diligence in partnership with the NYBC Research group and outside experts.
- Assist in all stages of business due diligence including investment-specific diligence, market analysis and financial modeling, and conducting primary and secondary research.
- He/She will play a valuable role utilizing their industry knowledge a scientific expertise to review and evaluate new business plans.
- Individual will be expected to source new investment opportunities through analysis of scientific and market opportunities and identify appropriate targets, attend industry events (such as conferences), and contact and build relationships with key academics and executives.
- Key role in deal and pipeline management including deal review and tracking, deal meetings, etc. Prepare and maintain internal documentation on potential investments/portfolio companies, including investment memos and financial analyses.
- Assist with creating, updating, and maintaining firm databases.
- Create presentations and build financial models to support new and ongoing investments.
- Execute complex analytics to assess opportunities (e.g. comparable deal analysis and financial modeling/NPV analysis) and provide diligence support for all transactions (e.g., preparing and setting up diligence files, financing documents, etc.).
- Participate actively in portfolio management and fund strategy.
- Support existing portfolio company investments by coordinating interactions with the NYBC Ventures teams.
- Lead scientific due diligence in partnership with the NYBC Research group and outside experts.
- Perform other tasks as necessary to support the team.
- Advanced degree in Life Sciences and/or Ph.D. from a leading academic institution. MBA preferred.
- Prior experience in venture capital, strategic consulting, investment banking, equity research or business or corporate development in life sciences required. Start-up experience, a plus.
- Experience in the therapeutic areas of immunology, benign hematology, and regenerative medicine, a plus.
- Experience with corporate finance, equity financing, and relevant financial modeling.
- He/she is an expert in written and oral communications to senior executive level audiences.
- Knowledge of an entrepreneurial environment.
- Strong proficiency in MS office suite and ERP, document management, portfolio and CRM software.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to travel 20%.
- Must be an entrepreneurial individual with ability to work and exhibit leadership in a dynamic, start-up environment. Must be able to pro-actively prioritize competing demands and deliver high-quality results.
- Must have strong integrity and work ethic, and be a team player. Interest in working for a mission-driven organization required.
- Exceptional written, verbal and interpersonal skills (including networking) are required.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, challenging, entrepreneurial and team-oriented environment.
- Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills with ability to influence and build strong working relationships at all levels.