Associate Director / Director Corporate Development And Investor Relations
Foster City, CA | New York, NY
Terns Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing best-in-class single-agent and combination therapies to treat liver disease. Terns has assembled a broad pipeline of orally administered drug candidates for the treatment of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). Headquartered in Foster City, CA, Terns combines extensive research and development experience in drug development and experimental combination therapy with a capital-efficient drug discovery and clinical development model to advance its growing pipeline of medicines.
The Director, Corporate Development and Investor Relations reports to the CFO and will develop, implement, and manage a strategic plan for investor relations that helps ensure fair valuation of the company and accurate understanding of the company story and evolution with both the sell-side and buy-side. In addition, this individual will help drive corporate development strategy and play a key leadership role in financing activities, including financing strategy and managing relationships within the banking community and executing financing activities. The individual will also be expected to closely partner with the Director, Business Development to support the Company’s business development activities, including financial modeling, competitive intelligence, and participation in partnering activities.
S/he will identify key issues and opportunities for investor communications and develop innovative investor relations strategies and programs, accordingly, ensuring investor relations initiatives are effectively linked to corporate and department goals.
S/he will develop and maintain close relationships with key investors and analysts by communicating company story on a continuous, transparent, and consistent basis, in compliance with corporate policies and securities regulations.
Additionally, s/he will develop and lead review of investor-facing communications materials, including corporate announcements, investor presentations, press releases, conference call scripts, Q&As, and backgrounders.
The successful candidate will ensure adherence to relevant regulatory requirements and company Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) as appropriate.
- Develop a deep and thorough understanding of the Company’s pipeline and corporate strategy; support the delivery of this strategy to both internal and external audiences through clear and compelling written and oral communication, in compliance with corporate policies and securities regulations.
- Drive the development and implementation of a targeted investor relations strategy to maximize the Company’s long-term value creation and ensure the consistent presentation of that strategy across all messaging.
- Partner with numerous functions in the company, to enable accurate and optimal creation, evolution, and delivery of key messages, and to ensure that investor communications are aligned with communications across all external audiences.
- Ensure executive team is up to date on investor and analyst perceptions of the company; recommend and implement any necessary course corrections in messaging and relationship management.
- Monitor industry and competitor developments, alert management and prepare proactive and reactive plans as needed.
- Support financing activities, including implementation of financing strategy, executing financing activities.
- Act as the liaison for the Company’s investment banking interactions to effectively leverage investment banking capabilities cross-departmentally while optimizing management time with these stakeholders.
- Support the creation of materials for board meetings.
- Oversee preparation of the Company’s press releases and investor slide decks.
- Assist in managing on-going partnership and alliance activities.
- Monitor Wall Street analysts’ models and estimates, compile internal quarterly consensus for multiple company stakeholders, and communicate quarterly consensus to external stakeholders, when necessary.
- Lead the drafting and updating of disclosures related to the Company’s business for its SEC filings.
- Maintain the IR calendar, which includes strategic decisions on Company and executive participation in investor conferences, non-deal roadshows and analyst/investor meetings.
- Provide accurate, consistent, and timely responses to all external inquiries from investors, analysts.
- Act as the corporate liaison to institutional investors and analysts.
- Other projects as assigned.
- Bachelors required. Advanced degree in biomedical sciences-related disciplines (M.D., Ph.D., or M.S.) or MBA preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in sell-side research, buy-side, investment banking program, healthcare consulting firms or industry experience is desirable.
- Outstanding verbal/written communicator; highly organized, with exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent ability to develop relationships and a proven ability to interact with individuals at all levels and in all environments.
- Ability to navigate and demonstrate success in a fast paced, dynamic work environment which requires the collaboration of multiple people.
- Local candidate from the Foster City, CA area is highly preferred; exceptional remote candidates will be considered.
- Travel requirements: This role may require up to 20% domestic and international travel.