Novo Ventures (US), Inc.
San Francisco, CA
Associate, Novo Ventures
Novo Ventures is seeking an Associate to support the public equity investing activities of the team in our San Francisco office.
The Novo Ventures team is responsible for advising Novo Holdings, a leading global life science investor, on investments in emerging life science companies. With activities in San Francisco, Boston, London and Copenhagen, Novo Ventures is ideally positioned to reach the major hubs of life science and respond to investment opportunities when they arise.
Based in our San Francisco office, the successful candidate will support the public equities Partners in conducting due diligence on potential investment ideas and management of the portfolio. Our public investing activities implement a long-only strategy focused on smidcap biotech and medtech companies driven by science, data and a long-term view. Efforts in this area are primarily focused on pre-clinical and clinical stage biotechnology companies as well as high growth revenue stage medical technology opportunities. As the public equities team works alongside the private equity team, the role will also provide exposure to the firm’s venture capital and structured finance investment strategies. Specific responsibilities may include, but are not be limited to, the following:
- Collect, analyze and interpret scientific and clinical data
- Conduct due diligence discussions with scientists, clinicians, and consultants independently
- Participate in due diligence meetings with company management
- Prepare and present investment materials and supporting documentation associated with potential investments
- Monitor and assist with management of public investments, including analysis of SEC filings, quarterly earnings calls and maintenance of financial models
- Attend and report on scientific, medical, and investment conferences
- Assist in operations and other ad hoc tasks such as tracking performance, trades and other internal systems to ensure data accuracy and consistency
- Collaborate with other areas of the organization to support other Novo Holdings activities
We are looking for a candidate with:
- A Ph.D. and/or M.D., with a preference for candidates with extensive coursework in biochemistry, molecular biology or related fields
- Two to three years of non-academic work experience in equity research, investment banking, management consulting with a focus on healthcare or in the biopharma industry
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and working knowledge of finance, accounting, and financial modeling
- Experience working with various databases, libraries and other data sources to assist in researching companies, clinical trials, competitive positioning, commercial opportunities and other areas of interest is preferred
- Strong work ethic
- Motivated to learn the investment business
- Organized and detail-oriented, with a demonstrated ability to multi-task
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Working at Novo Ventures
Novo Ventures offers a unique opportunity to work on the frontier of life science investments, helping pioneering scientists, entrepreneurs and companies bring new treatments and technologies to market. We have a respectful and collaborative work culture where your opinion is valued. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We welcome and celebrate individuals of all backgrounds, orientations, and identities. We are family-friendly and provide outstanding benefits, such as five months of paid leave for birthing parents and three months of paid leave for non-birthing parents.
We offer a competitive salary package and you will be trusted with significant operational freedom. You will enjoy the opportunity to be part of a dedicated, international and dynamic team with diverse backgrounds.
We will only consider applicants with a PhD or MD.