Menlo Park, CA
Venture Associate Position Description
Sofinnova Investments (“Sofinnova”), founded in 1974, is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical investment firm with approximately $2.1B in assets under management and committed capital. We invest in both private and public equity of therapeutics-focused companies. We are seeking an Associate to join our Private Equity team.
Our Mission: to improve the lives of patients through science. We strive to provide outstanding results for those we serve: patients, entrepreneurs, and the investors that entrust us with their capital.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies and skills:
- A graduate of a top university with a strong academic record;
- An advanced scientific degree (MD / PhD in the biological or chemical sciences) from a top university;
- Possesses a strong scientific and/or clinical acumen;
- Is organized, with strong communications skills, a self-starter and able to work in a collaborative team environment;
- Is able to apply a hypothesis driven problem-solving approach and can readily describe their thought process
- An individual with a long-term interest in the venture industry, passion, integrity, and work ethic to develop and grow within the firm;
Preferred, but not required:
- Have a solid working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and financial modeling skills in Excel (e.g., company-specific valuation, market models, etc.); and
- Prior non-academic work experience in consulting, venture capital, investment banking, or at a biotech / pharma company, with substantial exposure to therapeutics companies is preferred.
Sofinnova promotes diversity in the workplace and believes diversity is a key component of its success.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Generally, an Associate focuses their time:
- Investment due diligence
- Conduct primary industry diligence, including deal screening and review of scientific literature and gathering feedback from industry consultants, analysts, and investors;
- Participate in company due-diligence meetings;
- Analyze and interpret scientific and clinical data, review competitive landscape, regulatory path, commercial potential, IP, develop market and company specific valuation model; and
- Develop clear perspective on potential exit scenarios and their individual likelihood
- Search and compile information from industry databases (prescriptions, market estimates) for diseases/therapies;
- Portfolio management, deal sourcing, and career development
- May over time represent the firm as an observer on the board of Portfolio companies;
- Source potential investment deals;
- Aggregate and analyze relevant industry news flow;
- Build a strong network with members of the biotech/ life science ecosystem; and
- Attend and report on scientific, medical, and investment conferences.
- Internal general operations
- Support Firm activities i.e., the Firm’s Investment Committee, annual limited partner meeting, fund-raising, and internal operations;
- Database mining;
- Tracking Sofinnova metrics; and
- To apply please submit a CV and Cover Letter.