Analyst - Equity Research, Medical Technology & Devices
Bank of America
New York, NY
The Medtech team currently covers 35-listed companies across a broad range of industries and subsectors within the medical technology sector including cardiology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, diabetes, surgical robotics, general surgery, neurosurgery and several others. In addition to coverage of publicly traded companies, the team regularly vets a number of private device companies for potential IPOs. The candidate for the position should be intellectually curious and have a deep desire to learn. Although neither a basic science or direct medical background is required, it is very desirable as it shortens the learning curve and facilitates communication with companies and clients. Given the team’s heavy vetting load and fast pace nature of the medical device information cycle, the candidate should also have some experience with financial modeling and quantitative analysis, as well as strong verbal communication and writing skills. The ideal candidate possesses experience in Medtech sell-side research with a medical degree or medical or industry background. Medical areas of experience that are most valuable would be cardiovascular interventional medicine and diabetes. Further, the candidate should possess experience with company modelling and have a passion for following the stock market.
The candidate will work alongside Senior Analysts and Associates in all aspects of the research process, from idea generation to modeling, including but not limited to the following:
- Perform complex financial modeling & valuation work.
- Write regular industry and company reports and company launch initiations from scratch.
- Develop databases integral to our research product.
- Demonstrate strong industry knowledge and business judgment.
- Work with Senior Analysts to develop key industry themes.
- Build relationships and facilitate information flow with contacts at covered companies.
- Participate and contribute to client meetings and events.
- Attend meetings and interact with key opinion leaders.
- Closely follow and understand market, industry and company specific activity, and relay to analyst when traveling.
- Seek out new, unusual sources of information.
- Leverage our robust network of industry contacts.
- Interact regularly with clients.
- Bachelor’s Degree. Medical degree not necessary but desired.
- Min 1 years of experience in research, banking or buy/sell side experience focusing in the Medtech/healthcare space (Specifically areas of experience in cardiovascular interventional medicine and diabetes)
- Experience with Bloomberg and/or Factset tools a distinct positive
- Major(s) and areas of academic excellence must include Accounting and Finance.
- Strong writing and spreadsheet skills. Must be an expert at MS Word and MS Excel.
- Must enjoy working in industry databases and websites, and doing desktop and field research.
- Along with Finance and Accounting, should have basic understanding of economics, macroeconomic factors, international affairs, and policy/politics.
- Must have strong modeling skills
- Must have excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- Must have strong attention to detail, ability to multi-task.
- Must work well in a collaborative team environment.
- The candidate MUST be able to thrive in a fast-paced and intense environment.