Medical Editor (Physician)
Multiple | Remote/Flexible
Posted August 27
GoodRx is America’s healthcare marketplace. Each month, 20 million people visit goodrx.com to find reliable health information and discounts for their healthcare — and we’ve helped people save $30 billion since 2011. We provide prescription discounts that are accepted at more than 70,000 pharmacies in the U.S., as well as telehealth services including doctor visits and lab tests. Our services have been positively reviewed by Good Morning America, The New York Times, NBC News, AARP, and many others.
Our goal is to help Americans find convenient and affordable healthcare. We offer solutions for consumers, employers, health plans, and anyone else who shares our desire to provide affordable prescriptions to all Americans.
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company and industry. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has a seat at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunities to excel.
With that said, research shows that women and other underrepresented groups apply only if they meet 100% of the criteria. GoodRx is committed to leveling the playing field, and we encourage women, people of color, those in the LGBTQ+ communities, and Veterans to apply for positions even if they don’t necessarily check every box outlined in the job description. Please still get in touch - we’d love to connect and see if you could be good for the role!
GoodRx is seeking a Medical Editor to contribute to developing compelling content that helps to inform and drive healthcare decision-making for consumers. We need a physician who is comfortable researching, writing and editing about a range of clinical and nonclinical topics for a lay audience. We are open to various kinds of specialties, but a family physician, hospitalist or other generalist would be an ideal add for our team.
We are looking for a natural storyteller with excellent written and oral communication skills who can draw on their clinical experience as holistic and empathic practitioners to write and edit for a consumer audience. You will need to be able to combine your real-life practical experience with in-depth reviews of the current scientific evidence to help to weave engaging, readable, and digestible pieces of educational editorial content.
You must be appropriately licensed and not previously or currently involved in any regulatory board, agency inquiry, or professional liability policy claim.
It’s difficult for consumers to glean all the information they need to make well-considered decisions when it comes to healthcare for themselves and their families. We aim to give them the tools and the impetus to help manage their own health needs more effectively.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about and well-acquainted with the written word, with experience writing for a consumer audience. Journalism, publishing or blog experience is a plus, particularly if you have clips of your writing to share that can demonstrate your skills.
This position will be responsible for writing, assigning and editing, while working with SEO, editorial, design, production and content marketing staff to get pieces published in a timely manner and widely read. A brisk pace is a must, while maintaining high quality.
Be prepared to explain complex ideas in plain language. The position will also require conducting medical reviews of pieces that are written and edited by others, in order to ensure accuracy and quality.
The Medical Editor will work with the rest of the GoodRx Research team to create exceptional content that can help people find relevant and actionable information that allows them to make informed healthcare decisions.
The GoodRx Research team consists of a cross-functional group of editors, economists, data analysts, and healthcare professionals who consistently work with colleagues across GoodRx to make our processes and projects ever better. GoodRx partners with more than 70,000 pharmacies across the U.S.
- Create definitive, inspiring content regarding health, diseases, diagnostics and treatments that takes costs and other every-day considerations to heart
- Write well thought out, fun to read, and informative articles that help readers make better decisions
- Work with the editorial and research teams to create content pipelines and deliver on the timelines
- Write and/or edit 3 to 5 articles per week
- Comfortable managing, recruiting and assigning to freelancers
- Must have strong structural, line and copy editing skills and be able to turn around edits efficiently
- Make sure existing content is accurate and up-to-date
- Create and identify shareable content and contribute to social media platform presence
- Work with the in-house team of editorial and SEO professionals to build article outlines
Skills and Qualifications:
- Licensed physician (MD, DO, or equivalent) with a minimum of 2 years clinical experience and a clean clinical record
- 2+ years of experience in clinical content creation, journalism, or other experience writing for a general audience
- Outstanding writing, grammar, and editing capabilities
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Basic understanding of SEO and content strategy methods to ensure content is created and structured for broad use and reuse
- Please submit the following 3 documents:
- 1. Your resumé, including your contact details and location.
- 2. A short cover letter outlining your relevant clinical and writing experience.
- 3. Clips of your prior consumer-oriented health writing. In lieu of clips, you can also do a brief example of your writing (200-400 words) on a clinical topic aimed at a lay audience. Suggested topic: "What is aspirin and how does it work?” Be sure to write at a 6th-grade reading level.