Russell Reynolds Associates
San Francisco, CA
- 4-10 years of business experience (professional services, biopharma/device/digital health, etc)
- Must enjoy client-facing work
- Ability to live in/relocate to the Bay Area
- Eligible to work in the United States
- BA/BS required; advanced degree not required
Russell Reynolds Associates is a global leadership advisory and executive search firm. We help our clients build teams of transformational leaders who can meet today’s challenges and anticipate the digital, economic and political trends that are reshaping the global business environment. From helping boards with their structure, culture and effectiveness to identifying, assessing and defining the best leadership for organizations, our teams bring their expertise to help clients address their most complex leadership issues. Listen to our clients and colleagues share how we are improving the way the world is lead.
Our success over the past five decades is attributable to our collaborative culture and the outstanding quality of our people who are fiercely committed to leading with insights and building meaningful relationships. Our 470+ experienced consultants collaborate with our global team of Research, Knowledge and Project Coordinators in 46 offices around the world.
San Francisco is one of RRA’s largest offices with a significant footprint in the Bay Area’s thriving biotech and technology communities. You partner with an experienced and highly collaborative team of biotech/health-tech consultants and researchers with a 20+ year established practice on the West Coast.
Our Global Healthcare Sector
Our Global Healthcare sector serves three key industry segments, and our consultants group in these specialty practice areas, focusing on specific industry and functional expertise to advise our clients and recruit executives and Board members.
- Biotechnology & Pharmaceuticals: Our clients are pursuing breakthrough therapies that help save lives. Our experienced team of consultants is passionate about recruiting top talent who can drive these life-saving therapies to market more quickly and efficiently. Our clients range from venture-backed emerging growth biotech to global pharmaceutical companies.
- Medical Devices and Diagnostics: Our clients develop and commercialize revolutionary medical technologies, ranging from capital equipment to portable personalized medical devices. For example, we have served a client that developed digestible microchips that can perform functions ranging from detecting diseases to monitoring therapeutic dosing levels.
- Healthcare Services: Our clients include leading private equity firms, healthcare provider and delivery enterprises, and payor organizations to advance the business and administration of healthcare. We have served decentralized health service networks, national health systems, academic medical centers, integrated delivery networks, and other payor/provider organizations, as well as insurance companies, healthcare IT platforms, digital health innovators and vendors.
Below are just a handful of recent clients our team has partnered with to recruit leaders and board members.
As a Consultant in the Global Healthcare Sector, specializing in the Biotech & Pharmaceuticals Practice, you will work with senior Consultants to advise our biotech/pharma clients on executive search mandates.
The San Francisco Bay Area is a renowned leading hub for life sciences companies. From disruptive biotech to pharma innovation centers, the Bay Area is at the forefront of cutting-edge science and medicine. Furthermore, our San Francisco office sits at the intersection of industries of technologies and innovations. The San Francisco Consultant team is built for cross-sector collaboration and teamwork.
The ideal candidate will have 6-12+ years of work experience, ideally with biotech/pharma industry experience and knowledge. Experience with business development, project management, and/or professional services is a high predictor of success in this role. Experience interacting with senior executives, such as C-suite and Board is also a plus. The successful candidate will work with clients as a trusted advisor at each step of the search and recruitment process, from launch to close, i.e. developing the search strategy, executing on the recruitment, assessing candidates, advising the client on recruitment tactics, conducting formal references, and negotiating final offers of employment.
Through an apprenticeship model, an Associate level Consultant will receive mentorship and sponsorship to build and deepen long-term client relationships through the execution of the highest quality search work. Over time, execution of search work will build to a range of business development and internal promotion opportunities. Russell Reynolds Associates is committed to investing in talent with committed and impactful apprenticeship. Career advancement at our firm is part of our long-standing commitment to our own talent with collaboration and mentorship as our principal firm value. Primary responsibilities include:
- At the initiation of the search, assessing the client’s strategic goals and challenges and developing a search strategy based on these insights and market intelligence
- Analyzing these findings in partnership with clients to extrapolate the key competencies and skills required for success in the role.
- Sourcing the global market of relevant executives, assessing potential prospects, and interviewing candidates to gauge relevant experience and qualitative factors, including leadership competencies.
- Guiding clients through an interview, assessment and recruiting process through to a successful offer negotiation.
- Delivering strategic advice to our CEO and Board clients through consultancy-type assignments such as leadership assessment, top team development, long-term CEO succession planning, transition management and board effectiveness.
Throughout every assignment, our consultants consistently deliver insightful, impactful and nuanced counsel to our clients and candidates to ensure that they have the best possible experience and outcome. In addition to executing assignments, consultants build client relationships through high quality work, delivering insights and sound perspectives, and business development activities. Over time, each consultant develops a market-validated reputation and is recognized as a trusted advisor by leading companies.
Successful search consultants can come from a variety of professional experiences and career paths. Our global team of consultants have joined Russell Reynolds Associates with a wide range of industry backgrounds and functional expertise. The common thread of universal success in our firm is the ability to drive complex processes, deliver compelling solutions, and grow deep and consultative relationships with clients. Technical academic background in the sciences is a plus.
Our consultants thrive on advisory client relationships, are passionate about having an impact on our clients’ businesses, and are motivated to help solve challenging talent and leadership issues with dynamic businesses.
More specifically, we would highlight the following competencies as essential and critical for success in the role:
- Driving Results: Rigorously hold oneself and others accountable for results and achieving high levels of individual and organizational performance.
- Developing and Leveraging Relationships: Create and cultivate internal and external networks of people and leverage them to accomplish objectives.
- Analytical Skill: Have a high capacity to handle complex and multi-dimensional problems, and to apply logic, analysis, and sound reasoning to solve those problems.
- Communication: Articulate and impactful in conveying important messages in a clear and compelling manner.
- Challenge-seeking: Attracted to first-time situations and stretch goals. Ready and willing to put his/her abilities to the test.
- Impact and Impression: Bring a strong, positive, and remarkable personal presence.
- Empathy: Understand and accurately assess situations and reactions of others. Adapt and act on considering all stakeholders involved.
- Business and Cultural Astuteness: Be perceptive to diverse cultural differences and complex business situations. Open to new ways of doing things and able to adapt to diverse, and often unpredictable, situations and contexts.
- Integrity: Do the right thing by others. Have the courage and conviction to act on high integrity principles and values.
- Learning Agility: Be a quick study. Thrive on absorbing new information, synthesizing new ideas, and adapting to changes in dynamic situations.
- Entrepreneurial Drive: Ready to seize and capitalize on trends and opportunities.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Diversity, equity, inclusion and respect for individuality are at the core of our firm’s culture and are essential to the success of our executive search and assessment business. Both for ourselves and for our clients, we strive to attract the best people from the broadest pool of candidates. We embrace differences in race, religion, culture, gender, nationality, age, sexual orientation, thinking style, background and perspectives, with the goal of providing a positive work environment for our employees and exemplary service to our clients.